Today is a pretty significant day! On this day five months ago I ran my first Tough Mudder and one month from today I will be running the Nike Women’s Half Marathon! Maybe the number 14 should be my new lucky number!
Since I have running on my mind (when don’t I?) I thought I would share my list of what changed after I became a Tough Mudder. I would hate for you to think that once the highly sought after orange headband was placed upon my head, I just went back to leading my normal pre Tough Mudder life. No, no, no. I was forever changed and so were many other Tough Mudders who came before and after me.
1. Bragging rights for an eternity! – I don’t care if you ran just one Tough Mudder race and it was over two years ago, the fact remains that you ran it! No one can take that away from you. Feel free to tell everyone about it. I do. And you can be certain I will be telling my grandkids about it as well. I’m going to be one bad ass grandma btw!
2. Psyche out the competition – Once you become a Tough Mudder you seem 100 times scarier to every runner that has not run a Tough Mudder. Use it to your advantage, running is a mental sport after all! 😉
3. No race will every compare – You will compare every other mud / obstacle race you do to the Tough Mudder. Nothing will ever come close to the Tough Mudder. Nothing.
4. New mantra – Everyone has at least one running mantra. I have had several over the years and now that I am a Tough Mudder, I have a new one. When I am struggling in a race I say to myself, “You are a Tough Mudder!” Works every time!
5. Fear be gone – I was scared to death of running the Tough Mudder. Once I conquered it I felt like I could do anything. All those little things in my regular day to day life that scared me didn’t seem so scary anymore. (Okay, so technically I am still scared of heights but we can’t expect the Tough Mudder to cure everything!)
The best part of being a Tough Mudder? It’s not an exclusive club. Go run one, don your orange headband and join the rest of us crazies who can’t get enough of them!
Have you ran a Tough Mudder? If you have, what would you add to this list? If you haven’t, WHY NOT???