Living a fit and healthy lifestyle isn’t easy. It takes a lot of hard work and plenty of motivation. It’s easy to come up with excuses as to why you shouldn’t workout. Maybe you are too tired, you don’t have enough time in your day, you have other things that you need to get done, it’s impossible to workout with your kids around or maybe you just plain don’t like working out. Let’s be honest, these are really not legitimate reasons, they are excuses that exist in the absence of motivation. To really embrace a fit and healthy lifestyle you have to discover what really motivates you and let those motivations drive you to be successful in your fitness endeavors.
What motivates me?
1. I believe that I am worth it – I didn’t always think this way. In fact, I used to put myself at the bottom of my priority list. Being a wife, mother, having a full-time job and taking care of a household all came before taking care of me. I thought this was the way things were supposed to be. When I made the switch and placed myself at the top of my to-do list a funny thing happened, I became a happier person. Sure my apartment isn’t always spotless and the laundry gets out of hand at times, but in the end everything does get done. And because I make myself a priority, I am better person in every area of my life.
2. It’s Fun! – My workouts are hard and I end up looking like a hot sweaty mess when I am done, but for me that is fun! I love pushing myself to new limits and I get a tremendous amount of satisfaction out of completing tough workouts. I also really, really, really love running. It makes me feel more centered, less stressed and very happy!
3. I look good and feel good – I’m not going to lie, I love how the fit version of me looks compared to the not fit version of me. In addition to that, leading a healthy life FEELS good. Eating junk food and being a couch potato makes me feel lethargic and dispirited but eating a healthy diet and working out makes me feel energized and upbeat.
4. Being a good role model – The easiest way for me to encourage Little B to lead a healthy and fit lifestyle is by showing him how it’s done. I workout in front of him and he often joins in with me. He loves to do push-ups and planks, so I know I am making a positive impact on him!
5. Races – Signing up for a race is a huge motivator for me to stay in shape because (a) it gives me a date to put on my calendar and (b) is costs money to sign up for them and I don’t want to waste my hard-earned money!
Now I want to know what motivates YOU? I can’t wait to see all the different reasons people are motivated to lead healthy lives!