Brace yourselves for what I am about to say.
My blog has……trolls.
I know, I know. It was only a matter of time before it happened to me. And some would even say that it is a sign that I have finally made it as a blogger. I was really hoping that the first sign of making it as a blogger would be getting paid to blog but I’ll take what I can get. 😉
Not familiar with what a troll is? According to Wikipedia “a troll is someone who posts inflammatory extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as a forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.”
You can’t see any of the troll’s comments because I didn’t approve any of them. Most of the comments have centered around criticizing me for not having a job (When did I win the lottery and why am I just now finding out about it?), accusing me of not being a “real” athlete (I pinched myself and it hurt. I’m definitely real.) and taking offense to the name of my blog because I have not been in the military (Huh?).
I’ll be honest. At first I was a little insulted by the comments. But then as time went on I started to find them to be quite humorous. Interestingly enough when I Googled one of the Trolls names, I discovered that she does this on lots of blogs. More specifically running blogs. After that discovery, there was no way I could take those comments to heart.
So Trolls, if you still decide to take up residence on my blog here is my message to you.
1. I will not approve any of your comments. You want a reaction and I am not going to give you one. Instead I am going to laugh at your comment and promptly delete it.
2. If you post your comment using a profile that I am able to report you with, I will. Every. Single. Time.
3. Your negative comments say way more about you than they will ever say about me.
4. If all you put out into the world is negativity don’t be surprised if that is all you get back.
5. Karma. It’s a bitch.
6. You don’t define me. I do.
Bottom line: I ain’t afraid of no trolls!
Have you had the pleasure of dealing with trolls? How have you handled it?