Friday’s post got me thinking about all the things I look for in a race. Here are five things that are of the most importance to me.
1. Cost – Racing is expensive especially if you are like me and like to race throughout the whole year. I am also a single Mom on a budget so cost definitely weighs into my decision as to what races I register for.
2. Race Route – I like some eye candy while I am running.
The kind of eye candy I am actually referring to is some sort of interesting scenery. I am not a fan of running through residential areas. I find that to be very boring. But a race with a water view, is most excellent!
3. Race Bling – I am not ashamed to admit that I love finisher medals. I am more apt to sign up for a race if it has an awesome medal and less likely to sign up for a race if it doesn’t offer a medal.
4. Race Shirt – I very much dislike it when a race only offers a cotton shirt. What am I supposed to do with it? I won’t wear it for working out and I won’t wear it in my daily life so it’s a wasted part of the race experience. On the other hand, I am a happy runner if a race has a tech shirt, even if it means paying a little more to get the tech shirt.
5. Post Race Food – I always bring my own fuel for before and during the race but I tend to rely on races for post race food. Bananas and water don’t cut it for me. I am one of the few runners that don’t like bananas and I think having a small variety of food options goes a long way for ending a race on a positive note!
What do you look for when signing up for a race?