To say that I have been stressed the last few months, is an understatement. Most of it has been work related and I don’t talk about work here so you will just have to believe me that my stress level has been through the roof. Because I have been so stressed I have had to come up with different ways to manage it. Here is what I have found works best for me.
1. Run it out – Running has always been my go to stress reliever. It calms me and provides a sense of clarity over what is stressing me that I can’t get when I don’t run. Other types of exercise work too but running is my prefered outlet.
2. Breathe! – I’m not one to meditate, although I am sure if I applied myself I would find it very beneficial. I do however take a few minutes to breathe deeply and that helps keep my stress level in check.
3. Perspective – I ask myself two very important questions about what is stressing me. Will it matter 1 year from now and do I have any control over it? If my answer to either of those questions is no, that helps me gain perspective on what is stressing me and allows me to calm down about the issue.
4. Get sleep – Being in a constant state of stress is very taxing on my body. I try to make sure I get a good amount of sleep to help myself handle what is bothering me. Although it is easier said than done sometimes.
5. Family & Friends – There are definitely times when I am stressed that I would like nothing more than to stay in my bed and hide under the covers. Unfortunately that doesn’t make what is stressing me go away or help me cope with the stress. Spending time with family and friends always helps though!
6. Fake it! – Sometimes none of the above tactics work and when that happens I resort to faking it until I make it. If I act like I am not stressed I will eventually convince myself that I am not. Seems strange but it is true.
Now that you know my stress management tactics I want to know what you do to handle stress. Leave a comment below.