Sadly the Spartan Beast that I recently ran marked the end of my mud run / obstacle race (OCR) season for this year. But just because the season has come to an end doesn’t mean I have run out of OCR related things to talk about.
You may remember this post that I wrote earlier in the year where I was contemplating getting a shoe just for OCRs. Shortly after that post, I did just that. I purchased a pair of Inov-8 Trailroc 226!
Aren’t they pretty? As much as I like a good-looking pair of shoes, the most important thing about a pair of shoes is how they perform.
I started using the Inov-8’s when I ran the Warrior Dash in July. So between the Warrior Dash and the last Spartan Race I just ran, they were with me for 4 OCRs this year. For me, that is plenty of time to decide how they measure up.
So what did I think?
I absolutely LOVE them and I plan to continue to use them going forward. Let me break down they features that I love the most about them.
– As you can see from the picture above they offer a lot of grip and traction. This is especially important for mud runs and OCRs because of all the mud that is on the course. Often times other runners would be slipping and sliding whereas I was not thanks to my shoes.
– These shoes are zero drop meaning the heel and forefoot of the shoe are the same distance from the ground. There is no elevation in the heel. This concept may not work for everyone but I had already been running in zero drop shoes and it is all that I will run in. Inov-8 does make other models that are not zero drop so if it isn’t your thing you have other options.
– They are lightweight. Mud runs and OCRs are known for well……being muddy! The last thing you want is a heavy pair of shoes weighing you down with the mud. These shoes weigh in at only 8 ounces.
– They have a slim design which I find is ideal for conquering obstacles. A wide shoe makes getting over obstacle a tad more tricky and anything you can do to make it easier for yourself is a good thing.
– They drain well. Another thing mud runs and OCRs are known for is being wet! Normally you pass through several water obstacles and you don’t want that water to stay in your shoes. With these shoes the water goes out as easily as it comes in.
– They clean up well. You may hear of many people who throw away their shoes after running a mud run or OCR. I cringe at that because it just isn’t necessary with the right shoe. All I do with my Inov-8s is hose them off after the run and throw them into the wash with some Win Detergent (my favorite sport detergent but any brand should work). After the wash they are as good as new!
I have raved about these shoes so much that even the bf jumped on the bandwagon and bought himself a pair before the Spartan Beast. He started referring to himself as SpiderMan because the shoes made him feel “sticky” on the course and the obstacles.
I should mention that I have not been compensated in any way for this post. Although I am certainly not against it, if Inov-8 happens to be listening. 😉 I just like to share things that work for me so that you can use my experiences to make the best decision for you.
Are you an Inov-8 wearer?
What shoes do you wear for mud runs and OCRs?